- About Us
- Why the Cockerel?
- The History of the Museum
- History of the Museum 1900-1983
- History of the Museum 1983 - Present
- The Cowle Trust
- Special Events
- Thursday Afternoon Talks
- School Holiday Activities
- Select 2018: My Nature
- Future Exhibitions
- Sandra Porter: All Things Being Equal
- Select Festival 2018
- Previous Exhibitions
- 2017 Exhibitions
- 2016 Exhibitions
- 2015 Exhibitions
- 2014 Exhibitions
- 2013 Exhibitions
- 2012 Exhibitions
- 2011 Exhibitions
- 2010 Exhibitions
- 2007 - 2009 Exhibitions
- The Museum Collections
- Collections Enquiries
- Recent Acquisitions
- Mystery Object
- Highlights of the Collection
- Paintings from the Collection
- Wilf Merrett Postcard Collection Gallery
- Featured Objects - The Lawnmower
- Featured Object - Wallbridge Painting
- Featured Object - Spanners
- Featured Object - Baughan Motorcyle
- Featured Collection - Casein
- Featured Collection - Prinknash Pottery
- Collections Policies
- World War One Commemoration Events
- 2014 - One Man's War
- 2015 - Technology and Innovation
- 2016 - The World at War
- 2017 - The Home Front
- 2018 - Medals, Souvenirs and Legacy
- Echoes in Enamel Project
- Stories from the Collection
- Trephined Skull
- Bragg Clock
- Beaker Boy
- Woolly Mammoths
- The Story of Animation in Stroud
- Friends of the Museum
- Friends Events
- Friends Contributions
- The Gate to The Secret Garden Print
- The Walled Garden Project
- Walled Garden Plan
- Walled Garden Brief History
- Walled Garden Project Photographs
- Secret Garden Public Photography Day 2013
- The first Walled Garden Residency by Quercus
- Only the Flame Remains: A Collection of Poems
- Museum Volunteers
The Museum in the Park is set in the beautiful grounds of Stratford Park in Stroud, Gloucestershire. Situated in a Grade II listed 17th Century wool merchant’s house; our collection tells the fascinating story of the Stroud District’s rich and diverse history.
With over 4,000 objects on display, including dinosaur bones, historical paintings and even one of the world’s first lawnmowers, there is something to spark the interest of all of our visitors!
In addition to the main displays in the mansion house, we have our modern extension which houses a small gift shop and café area, alongside a modern, purpose-built art gallery showing a varied programme of exhibitions. Behind this is Stroud’s ‘secret garden’ - a contemporary Walled Garden that will amaze and may well cause you to say 'wow'!
Here at the Museum we are very proud to have something to offer visitors of all ages and we enthusiastically welcome families and groups. The displays were designed, as far as possible, with everyone in mind. Many of the rooms contain interactives and toys, and some even sport peep holes into the cabinets at a child friendly height!
Perhaps you’d like to try your hand at a workshop, pause for thought in the galleries, attend a talk or enjoy a quiz for the whole family. With our diverse collection and exciting events programme we truly do offer something for everyone. Visit us and discover something new!
The Museum Service is provided by means of a partnership between Stroud District Council and the Stroud District (Cowle) Museum Trust (a registered charity). The Council provide the management and funding for the service and the Trust are the legal guardians of the collections.
Admission to the Museum is free. We may charge for other activities, see our What's On for more information. We rely heavily on income from the shop, cafe and room hire to enable us to deliver our public events programme. We have a donation box on site should you wish to contribute to this programme, all donations small or large make a difference.
Another way to support the Museum is to join the Museum Friends.
Our Mission is: Enabling people to access and share the collections and heritage of the Stroud District for inspiration, learning and enjoyment.
The Museum is run by a small but very enthusiastic team! We are as follows:
- Kevin - Museum Development Manager
- Alexia - Documentation and Collections Officer
- Fern - Documentation and Collections Assistant
- Abigail - Events & Exhibitions Officer
- Steven - Interim Learning & Access Officer
- Charlotte - Front of House Manager (Volunteer Coordinator)
- Joanna - Front of House Manager (Online Communications)
- Steven - Visitor Assistant
- Steve - Visitor Assistant
- Beth - Visitor Assistant (Retail & Merchandising Coordinator)
- Julian - Visitor Assistant
In addition to this we have a team of Casual Visitor Assistants who work throughout the year. The team is mostly comprised of part time members of staff, so please be aware that we are not always on site or available.
We also have a brilliant and dedicated team of Volunteers, without whom we simply wouldn't be able to provide the service that we do! For more information about volunteering at the Museum, please visit our Museum Volunteers page.
Did you know?
The Museum has a variety of exciting events, to find out more about what we have coming up please visit our Calendar page.
For more information on where we are and how to get in contact, go to our Find Us page.
For Data Protection and Freedom of Information Requests, please click here to be taken to the Stroud District Council website.
Plan your visit
Select a date to see what’s on. We are closed on Mondays (except Bank Holidays)