- About Us
- Why the Cockerel?
- The History of the Museum
- History of the Museum 1900-1983
- History of the Museum 1983 - Present
- The Cowle Trust
- Future Exhibitions
- Select Festival 2017: Dis/rupt
- Adam White: Palaeontology is a Dangerous Beast
- Deborah Roberts: Grasslands of the Stroud Valleys
- Previous Exhibitions
- 2017 Exhibitions
- 2016 Exhibitions
- 2015 Exhibitions
- 2014 Exhibitions
- 2013 Exhibitions
- 2012 Exhibitions
- 2011 Exhibitions
- 2010 Exhibitions
- 2007 - 2009 Exhibitions
- The Museum Collections
- Collections Enquiries
- Recent Acquisitions
- Mystery Object
- Highlights of the Collection
- Paintings from the Collection
- Wilf Merrett Postcard Collection Gallery
- Featured Objects - The Lawnmower
- Featured Object - Wallbridge Painting
- Featured Object - Spanners
- Featured Object - Baughan Motorcyle
- Featured Collection - Casein
- Featured Collection - Prinknash Pottery
- Collections Policies
- Special Events
- Thursday Afternoon Talks
- School Holiday Activities
- Anglia Textile Works: Events
- Pegasus Art Painting Workshops
- World War One Commemoration Events
- 2014 - One Man's War
- 2015 - Technology and Innovation
- 2016 - The World at War
- 2017 - The Home Front
- 2018 - Medals, Souvenirs and Legacy
- Echoes in Enamel Project
- Stories from the Collection
- Trephined Skull
- Bragg Clock
- Beaker Boy
- Woolly Mammoths
- Friends of the Museum
- Friends Events
- Friends Contributions
- The Gate to The Secret Garden Print
- The Walled Garden Project
- Walled Garden Plan
- Walled Garden Brief History
- Walled Garden Project Photographs
- Secret Garden Public Photography Day 2013
- The first Walled Garden Residency by Quercus
- Only the Flame Remains: A Collection of Poems
- Museum Volunteers
When are we open?
April to September
Tuesday to Friday: 10am - 5pm
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays: 11am - 5pm
Mondays in August: 10am - 5pm
October to March
Tuesday to Friday: 10am - 4pm (closed Mondays)
Saturday, Sunday and New Year's Day: 11am - 4pm
Why not get in touch?
Plan your visit
Select a date to see what’s on. We are closed on Mondays (except Bank Holidays)
How to find us
Exit junction 13 onto the A419 signposted Stroud. In Stroud, take the A46 signposted Cheltenham & follow signs for Stratford Park. At the roundabout just after the Merrywalks Centre turn left. At the neext roundabout turn left towards Tesco, go straight over the next two mini roundabouts and turn right at the third mini roundabout into Stratford Park.
Follow the A46 to Stroud Town centre and follow directions to Stratford Park from the Merrywalks Centre.
After entering Stroud on the A419, at the first roundabout turn left onto Dr Newton’s Way. At the next roundabout turn right and then straight on at double mini-roundabout (joining the A46 to Cheltenham). Follow directions to Stratford Park from the Merrywalks Centre. Turn Right into Stratford Park.
There is free parking in the Leisure Centre Car Park.
The Museum is a short walk from the Car Park, follow the signs which lead past the front of the Leisure Centre and down into the park, bearing left.
Coach parking is available at the top end of the car park. Unfortunately, there is no Coach drop-off or parking directly outside the Museum.
There are designated parking bays directly outside the Museum. Enter Stratford Park and keep to the left, past all the main car parking areas. The road rises up to a barrier. Use the intercom on the driver's side to gain access (this is controlled by the Leisure Centre, not the Museum). Follow the signs and road right around, past the back of the Leisure Centre, through a small car park next to the Leisure Centre, then turn left and immediately left again into a tree-lined avenue to arrive outside the Museum. Be aware of pedestrians. Please park in the designated area by the museum railings, not on the turning circle in front of the gates and the Mansion House. When leaving by this route the barrier goes up automatically.
Rail and Bus
Stroud town centre is approximately a 15 minute walk from the Museum.
Arriving at Merrywalks in Stroud, the Museum is then a 10 to 15 minute walk. Alternatively catch Bus Number 37 from Merrywalks to Tesco, which is then a two minute walk to the Museum.
The National Express Service is to Merrywalks in Stroud. The Museum is then a 10 to 15 minute walk.
View our Directions Guide